Chapter 1 General Provisions
The Alibaba Damo Academy Young Fellow is an unofficial, non-profit public service award established by the Alibaba Group in 2018, organized by the Alibaba DAMO Academy and supported by the Alibaba Public Welfare Foundation, for young Chinese scholars who have made a key contribution to the advancement of science and technology.
The Alibaba Damo Academy Young Fellow aims to identify and support outstanding young scholars from the Greater China region (including mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan) who are engaged in full-time scientific research in academic and research institutions and have the potential to achieve outstanding results in the future and become the backbone of scientific research in China. Alibaba DAMO Academy upholds the spirit of "Persistence is the key to success" and provides timely, effective, and reliable assistance to young scholars to help them achieve significant breakthroughs in critical areas, climb to the top of science and technology, and make outstanding contributions to the development of human society.
1. The Alibaba Damo Academy Young Fellows are judged on the basis of objectivity, fairness, impartiality, and rigor.
2. Insist on the independence, professionalism, and authority of the expert review.
3. Adhering to the principle of public benefit, providing support and assistance to young Chinese scientists.
In order to ensure the objective and rigorous, fair and impartial, organized and smooth operation of the review process of Damo Academy Young Fellow, this constitution is established.
Chapter 2 Awards
1. The name of the award is "Alibaba Damo Academy Young Fellow."
2. The winner of the award will be named "Alibaba DAMO Academy Young Fellow" and will be eligible for reciprocal visits with Alibaba DAMO Academy.
Conditions of Participation
To be considered for the Damo Academy Young Fellow, you must meet the following requirements.
1. Be a full-time researcher in an academic and research institution in Greater China (including Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan) and have received a Ph.D. degree.
2. In the year of participation, the participant's age is 35 years old, and below（2021 participants should be born on or after January 1, 1986）.
3. the field of research is in line with the field of Young Fellow evaluation.
4. The applicant cannot participate in two consecutive years, i.e., the applicant who has participated in the previous year's award cannot participate in the current year's award.
Damo Academy Young Fellows are awarded in a wide range of scientific fields. It is open to mathematical and physical sciences, chemical sciences, life sciences, information sciences, engineering and materials sciences, medical sciences, emerging interdisciplinary sciences, and other fields as determined by the Damo Academy Young Fellow Management Committee.
Number of winners
No more than 10 winners per year.
The winners each received a prize of RMB 1 million (before tax).
Chapter 3 Governance
The Damo Academy Young Fellows have a review committee composed of high academic standards and excellence experts. The review committee is responsible for reviewing the candidates' materials, correspondence evaluation, participation in the final defense evaluation, etc., in accordance with these regulations. The review committee members are subject to regular rotation, and in principle, they will be re-elected once a year.
The Management Committee is the operational and decision-making body of the Damo Academy Young Fellows. It is responsible for determining the composition of the jury and the supervisory committee and for carrying out the day-to-day work in accordance with these regulations to ensure the smooth running of the award.
The Supervisory Committee is composed of financial, legal, auditing, and public welfare professionals as decided by the Management Committee and is responsible for legal supervision and financial audit supervision in the award evaluation process.
Chapter 4 Evaluation
The way the participants are selected
Participants will be selected in two ways:
1. The Alibaba DAMO Academy will conduct a targeted search for participants from universities and research institutions in the Greater China region.
2. Participants who meet the application requirements will be self-nominated or recommended.
Independent application and recommendation method
1. Alibaba Damo Academy Young Fellows accept recommendations and applications throughout the year. Still, the deadline for submission of materials is June each year (the deadline for submission of materials in 2021 is 24:00 GMT on June 1, 2021). The application will automatically participate in the next year's selection.
2. Participants will send their personal information in a package to the email DAMO_YOUNG_FELLOW@alibabacloud.com, containing:
1) Personal academic curriculum vitae (Word or PDF format).
2) Introduction to personal representative works and results (including research background, process overview, description of the value of the results, personal experience, etc.).
3) (Optional, not required information) Recommendation letter/recommendation video from at least one well-known scientist in domestic and international academia.
The selection is made once a year, and the selection period is from June to August each year.
The judging process abides by the principles of objectivity, fairness, impartiality, and rigor. The evaluation process is strictly carried out in accordance with "submission of materials by the participants - qualification evaluation by the organizing committee - communication evaluation by the expert pool - on-site evaluation by the expert panel - consideration of the results by the expert panel - announcement of the winners."
Damo Academy Young Fellows are judged on the scientific and technological innovation, value impact, and social influence of the participants' research results.
Announcement of the winners
The winners, research units, and research areas will be announced on the Alibaba DAMO Academy website after the selection process.
Chapter 5 Awarding
The Management Committee awards the Damo Academy Young Fellow, and the winner signs the "Damo Academy Young Fellow Award Agreement," is named "Alibaba DAMO Academy Young Fellow," and can establish reciprocal visits with the Alibaba DAMO Academy.
Honor use rules
Awardees have the right to describe themselves in public (including their bios) as a "Damo Academy Young Fellow" recipient, an "Alibaba DAMO Academy Young Fellow," or "DAMO Academy Young Fellow." Also, agree to be a "Damo Academy Young Fellow," "Alibaba DAMO Academy Young Fellow," or "DAMO Academy Young Fellow" as published on the official website of the Alibaba Group or the Alibaba DAMO Academy. Academy Young Fellow" or "DAMO Academy Young Fellow" text and graphics (if any) as published on the official website of Alibaba Group or Alibaba DAMO Academy, and to display and use the honorary title in its full name.
Chapter 6 Award revocation and withdrawal
Award revocation and withdrawal
According to the Damo Academy Young Fellow selection criteria, even if the award is granted, Alibaba DAMO Academy shall organize the Management Committee, the Jury and the Supervisory Committee to evaluate whether to revoke the award or the title and whether to withdraw the prize in the following cases and implement the evaluation results：
1. The public statements, papers, and works published by the awardee do not meet the requirements of relevant national laws and regulations and socialist core values and contain pornography, discrimination, violence, hatred, racism, and other contents that violate public order and morality.
2. The awardee is found to have misrepresented or falsified important information such as nationality, academic qualifications, academic achievements, age, etc.
3. The awardee has been given a notice of criticism, admonishment, organizational treatment, suspension for inspection, demotion, etc., by the academic or research institution to which the awardee belongs for problems of thought, study, work, personal style, etc.
4. Violation of the "Damo Academy Young Fellow Award Agreement" signed by the recipient.
Chapter 7 By-laws
Responsibilities of the winners
The winner shall agree to be invited to at least one event sponsored by Alibaba in connection with the Damo Academy Young Fellows at a time and content to be mutually agreed upon.
Disclosure and recusal
The reviewer shall promptly and voluntarily disclose their nomination, competition, colleague, teacher-student, or relative relationship with the participant. The Management Committee and Supervisory Committee shall jointly decide whether recusal is appropriate based on the circumstances.
All persons involved in the operation and evaluation of the award are under a duty of confidentiality to the Damo Academy Young Fellow and have signed a confidentiality agreement.
Publication, amendment, and interpretation of bylaws
These statutes are revised by the Damo Academy Young Fellow Management Committee and adopted by the joint decision of the Review Committee and the Supervisory Committee and are interpreted by the Management Committee.
Entry into force and implementation of the charter
This constitution is effective and enforced from the date of publication.
Alibaba Damo Academy Young Fellow Management Committee
Xiaoming ChenAssociate Researcher at the Institute of Computing Technology Chinese Academy of Sciences. He is currently engaging in research into integrated circuit design, automation, and new computer architecture. He is passionate about the development of Chinese chip technology.
Wenshuai JiangLecturer at the School of Mathematical Sciences at Zhejiang University. He conducts research into geometric analysis in basic mathematics, including Kähler manifold, geometric flow, harmonic mapping, geometric structure of Riemannian manifold with certain curvature, and related applications.
Yongxin TongAdjunct Researcher at the School of Computer Science, Beihang University. He has been passionately involved in database and data mining technology for the past five years. He is committed to empowering big data applications and innovation through effectively managing and exploring the potential of vast amounts of data.
Chenren XuResearcher at the School of Information Science and Technology, Peking University. He is a researcher who believes exploring the efficient interconnecting technologies of the digital world can enhance the sense of dignity and mission within human society.
Shusen YangProfessor at the School of Mathematics and Statistics at Xi'an Jiaotong University. He is obsessing with big data analysis and with research into edge-cloud collaborative intelligence. Throughout his ten year career in scientific research, he has been inspired by the beauty of math and by his passion for engineering. It's not an easy path, but it is one he finds deeply satisfying.
Hao ZhangAssociate Professor of Physics at Tsinghua University. He explores the novel physics of the quantum world by experimental means. He aims to solve scientific and engineering bottlenecks faced by quantum computing in hardware.
Lan ZhangAdjunct Professor at the School of Computer Science, University of Science and Technology of China. She dedicates to the deep understanding of data and data value evaluation, and also to secure computing and data privacy protection. She believes that when combined together, the technology from both fields can achieve secure and intelligent application and sharing of cross-domain data.
Lijun ZhangAssociate Professor and Doctoral Advisor in Computer Science and Technology at Nanjing University. He mainly studies large-scale machine learning and optimization, proposing learning algorithms for big data and establishing theoretical guarantees for these algorithms.
Weinan ZhangAssistant Professor of Machine Learning at Shanghai Jiao Tong University. He is a young teacher who loves talking to students and helping them progress. He has dedicated himself to exploring artificial intelligence frontier technology and is keen to apply that technology to practical applications.